Watch a replay of Litman Gregory AdvisorIntelligence’s ESG Research Launch Webinar, held March 16, 2021. Research consultant Eric Figueroa, CFP®, presents the research and interviews senior analysts Jack Chee and Kiko Vallarta, CFA:
ESG Research Background
At Litman Gregory, we don’t think sustainable investing is a fad. We think it is a powerful trend that will continue. What’s great about it, is it comes first and foremost from a good place. There are issues with data, and in some respects, we should be skeptical. But the promise of sustainable, responsible, and impact investing is the potential to meet our clients’ return objectives while at the same time empowering them to influence corporate behavior and through that positively impact the world.
Many of our clients want to invest with purpose. This can be done in many ways: Divestment can pressure unsustainable or societally harmful business models. ESG includes that but goes one step further in proactively investing in sector or absolute leaders in sustainable practices. Finally, managers with scale can engage with the companies they own to bring about concrete change. All this would not be possible without our clients’ investment or their intention.
As investment professionals in service of clients, we should seize the sustainable investing opportunity. It is an amazing chance to engage our clients and better connect them to their investments and also to the value we bring. Litman Gregory wants to give you what you need to do that:
- A recommended list of active and passive ESG investment options
- Detailed, up-to-date ESG portfolio guidance
- A suite of advisor resources—our brochure, a governing document laying out our approach to selecting ESG investments, and client redistributables around ESG you can use in your own business
- Still to come: We want to post regular impact stock stories and other resources so you can bring corporate engagement and impact to life for clients.
- For subscribers: Review our materials
We are committed to filling out our active lineup in the near future and to continuously monitoring our recommendations as our thinking and the ESG space evolves. If you are a subscriber, we encourage you find time on our calendar to take a deep dive on ESG (link below). Or if you aren’t currently a subscriber but are interested in leveraging our ESG work, don’t hesitate to reach out to learn more!